Image: Using specialist contractors over 1 mile of asbestos cement pipe, 6000 cubic metres of plastic and over 250 tonnes of timber have been removed from inside each tower.
See the demolition of Calder Hall.
On 17 October 1956 the Queen pressed the switch that diverted electricity from the world’s first nuclear power station, Calder Hall, into the National Grid. Now it has bit the dust. The demolition successfully took place at 9am this morning – Saturday 29th September 2007.
The power station was needed to fuel our nuclear weapons programme and electricity was a useful byproduct. Half a century later we’re still grappling with the realities of nuclear power, nuclear waste and nuclear proliferation.
More from Cumbria.